Proeon is an innovative plant-based protein ingredients company working on next-generation plant protein ingredients with superior nutrition, and functional and sensory profiles for plant-based meat, dairy, functional foods, and nutrition industries globally. We are partnering with leading food brands to build sustainable, healthier, and tastier products for consumers across the world. We looking for experienced and motivated professionals who are passionate to work in a dynamic environment and join a talented team of professionals working towards building a successful business.
About the Role
We are setting up a state-of-the-art protein modification lab in Delft, The Netherlands, and are looking for a motivated R&D scientist to join our team working on evaluating, characterizing, and modifying novel plant proteins for food applications.
You’d be playing a key role in setting up the research infrastructure and team at our Delft location, with the support of our R&D team in India and external advisors who are some of the most respected protein research experts globally.
You’d be responsible for the development of new scientific innovations in protein modification and ingredient development.
You will be the in-house subject matter expert on protein modulation through enzymatic and other routes to obtain targeted functional and sensory characteristics for intended ingredient development.
You will participate in R&D strategy development and propose business and research opportunities.
- Set up the lab, with internal and external support. Build and subsequently expand the team at the location.
- With minimum supervision design, execute, and lead R&D projects leveraging the knowledge of protein modification to achieve intended protein characteristics.
- Collaborate extensively with extraction R&D and applications teams for the development of new ingredients and applications.
- Support process transfer into manufacturing for scale-up by providing written and oral communication of the process, conducting trials, reviewing results and data, modifying of process during scale-up, undertaking equipment selection and approval of documentation.
- Stay abreast of the technology environment (established & emerging technologies, market trends, IP landscape).
- Proactively seek and pursue IP opportunities to protect Proeon’s interests in new and promising ingredients and applications.
- Support Senior scientists and the management in initiating short and long-term technology projects, utilizing internal and external R&D networks, to enable long-term NPD Pipeline development.
- Identify and engage appropriate external partners. Supervise interns and propose internships/student projects when relevant.
- Maintain necessary documentation, SOPs, data of the experiments, and results. Author and review technical reports. Prepare and present data to the management and senior scientist as necessary.
- Create and maintain a safe lab environment in accordance with the EHS policies and procedures.
- Approximately 10-20% of travel is required.
- Ph. D in Food Technology, Biochemistry, Food Engineering, Bio-Process Technology or related field.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in active academic or industry research & development work in the field of plant protein modification.
- Strong working knowledge of protein chemistry and modification techniques, structure and functional properties of proteins, polysaccharides, and lipids within complex food matrix systems.
- Know-how in methods to characterize techno-functional properties of plant proteins and other ingredients.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and use it to learn and adapt the research course considering boundary conditions and resources at hand.
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility for the team’s success, which means thinking proactively, working independently, and having a creative and solving problem attitude.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in project management and project ownership across the life-cycle of a project, from conception to completion.
- High level of proficiency with MS Office, lab data management systems, etc.
- Effective communication skills in English and Dutch.
What We Offer
- A challenging and exciting opportunity to be a part of a diverse, international team creating the future of food.
- The possibility to work autonomously and with a team to find the right solutions.
- The opportunity to grow and develop yourself professionally and personally.
- A truly global and collaborative team that cares about the experience of our employees.
- Based on your experience we will offer you competitive salaries and other perks
This role is on-site and based out of Delft, Netherlands. A valid work permit is required for this role.